Salvaged Syncro – 1990 VW Vanagon Westfalia Camper Auction in San Rafael, CA
Updated 4/21/15 at 9am PST: See comments below this post from seller.
With reasonably priced syncros getting more rare by the mintue, this auction is sure to turn some heads. This 1990 VW Vanagon Syncro (AWD) Westfalia Camper features a stock 2.1L engine, stock 4+low manual transmission and salvage title that occurred over 12 years and 70k+ miles ago. The seller doesn't provide any details into what actually happened here, but the records show the van was totaled and put in possession of the insurance company. However, the seller does go to the extend of being very transparent about everything else, including a Car Fax and Auto Check report they purchased, along with a dropbox folder full of photos. With the original mileage still under 200k, the seller goes to great lengths to describe all work done in the past 12 years including suspension, brakes, decoupler, wheels, tires, solar set up and a variety of other odds and ends. This Syncro Westy is located in San Rafael, California and the auction ends on Monday, April 20th at noon PST. eBay Link
Some things I like about this Syncro Westy
- Not may for sale right now under $30k, maybe this seller is expecting more than that, but with a salvage title, many will be wary.
- It's seen almost as much time and mileage with a salvage vehicle as it did without, whoever fixed it up likely knew what they were doing.
- Black windows, black steel wheels, South African Grill & Headlights. Looks bad ass.
- Rear hatch ladder. Would love to have one of these someday. If it's aluminium, be careful it doesn't get stuck to the steel!
- Newer decoupler and drive shaft. Syncro front wheel drive/all wheel drive lasts so much longer when it's not running full time.
- It has a 2nd knob as well, likely a rear locker?
- Old Man Emu shocks. Yeah.
- Newer 3 window tent canvas. These are just mandatory. Less mold and old, more durable, more windows. duh.
- Custom console around the stick shift between the seats. These are so handy, so much unused and awkward space here. I'm not sure which one this is, or if it's custom, but they're not cheap.
- 4 mounted Yakima wide body rack tabs. If they're mounted properly and no cracks, this comes in handy and the older towers and bars that fit these can be found on craigslist for fairly cheap.
Some things I'm weary of
- Well, Salvage title of course
- Seam rust starting to brew, not sure how much is underneath.
- Power windows and locks, these notoriously fail when you're in the middle of nowhere.
- Fridge doesn't work. No word on sink, stove or propane situation.
All in all, it will be exciting to see how much someone is willing to pay for this, as syncro demand is higher than ever. Could it for for north of $30k? Let us know what you think in the comments below, or share your wisdom on the individual discussions about this Westy on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest or Google+.