As some of my regular readers know, I’ve got a soft spot for ’85 campers as that’s what I’ve been rolling for the past 3 years or so. While it’s not the same color, and this one is an automatic, still would make a great last minute Holiday Gift for that special someone 🙂 This great looking specimen is a 1985 VW Vanagon Westfalia Camper with 121k miles, stock rebuilt 1.9L engine with 8k miles and stock automatic transmission. It’s up for grabs near Modesto, CA with a relatively low starting bid of $11,800, and not too high Buy It Now of $14,500. The seller specifically states “This is a no reserve auction.”, So maybe they’re really willing to let it go for $12k? eBay Link – Auction ends Thursday December 24th at 1:38pm PST (Christmas Eve)
- According to the free eBay Auto Check report, the 121k miles might be accurate. There’s a ton of mileage stamps on this one. You could double check the VIN WV2ZB0258FH038257 at Car Fax too.
- The seller states they spent $5k on rebuilding the engine only 12k miles ago, with receipts of all work.
- The sink, stove and fridge are all said to work. There’s no picture of the propane tank, so you’ll want to factor that as well. The original tanks on these are now 30 years old.
- Fresh 3 window tent canvas and associated seals. Always a major plus, and $1,000 in labor and parts easy.
- It’s been worked on by Mahoney Motors in Modesto, CA, which by all accounts seems like a reputable VW shop.
- It’s got some extra electronic bells and whistles like a fresh battery w/ cut out switch, remote alarm, Kenwood 6 disc changer, Rockford Fosgate rear speakers.
- This looks mostly original and would be a great blank unmolested canvas for a new owner. The chrome on the drivers side rain gutter even shines, as these usually fade and fall off by now.
I’m not really sure what else I’d ask the owner. Make sure to drive it around and see if it shifts smoothly. Check out the propane tank and valves, look at the undercarriage. Otherwise, especially considering the engine rebuild, this could be a nice find for the right person looking for a potentially reliable automatic camper for under $15k.
What do you think it’s worth? Are you going to see it? Let us know in the comments below, or head on over to the individual posts about this Westy on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter or Pinterest and share your wisdom there.