1984 VW Vanagon Westfalia Camper GoWesty 2.3L Engine + Warranty – $14k in Los Angeles
Could this be your cyber Monday special? Posted last night on craigslist and The Samba is this 1984 VW Vanagon Westfalia Camper with a GoWesty 2.3L engine that's still got a year left on the warranty. The body is a bit rough, but mechanically this could be a sound rig to just swoop up and drive. The asking price seems reasonable at $14k in the current market, and it might sell fairly quick.
- The GoWesty 2.3L engine is a nice upgrade from stock, and still under warranty. The get mixed reviews from mechanics and VW forum discussions, however from what I know, if you take care of it and treat it well, they can last for a long time.
- The kitchen appliances are all said to work. New water pump for the sink, fridge runs cold.
- Karmakanix in Berkeley, CA has done most of the recent work. This is a good reputable shop.
- Front suspension bushings and ball joints have all been done recently. This job is a pain in the ass and is common on all Westys. More piece of mind here.
- Stainless steel exhaust and new CA catalytic converter. Even has a nice picture of this.
- The high end gold tint looks pretty good with that original ivory paint.
- Yakima wide body brackets mounted on the top in the right places. Always be sure to check the fiberglass around these for cracks, as it can happen.
Potential Sore Spots.
- No notes on the transmission. If the body really has 324k on it, find it when/if the transmission was ever rebuilt. The GoWesty engine is a "bit" more powerful that stock, and therefore could possibly put more strain on the transmission. Worst case scenario you've got a trans rebuilt at a cost of $2k-$3k+, depending on what you get. But at that point, you should have a very reliable power train.
- The body is a bit rough around the edges, with tiny bits of seam rust showing through here and there. Overall though, it looks pretty manageable.
So what do you think it's worth? Are you going to see it? Share you wisdom in the comments below, or head on over the individual discussions about this Westy on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter or Pinterest and share your wisdom there.