1986 VW Vanagon Syncro Westfalia Camper – Auction in Hailey, Idaho
As any seasoned syncro hunter has probably seen, earlier this week Sun Valley Auto Club posted up this aesthetically pleasing all stock 1986 VW Vanagon Syncro Westfalia with an asking price of $40k, which also appeared on craigslist, and now has an eBay Auction w/ a Buy It Now price of $40k, a current high bid of $13,400 (reserve not met),
The are two videos of this van, a detailed walk through and a test drive, both are embedded at the bottom of this post. At some point this van emigrated from Canada from the US (the lower shore power hookup), and while it does come with a VIN provided WV2ZB0255GG061373, the dealer has used up their free Auto Check reports, so you'll have to find another means of digging into its history, like CarFax. Keep in mind since it was Canadian, the report may only contain history from after it was imported.
Some things I like about this Westy.
- They seller detailed it up nicely, I love when folks do this. You get to drive away in something all fresh and clean, seems like that'd better be the case if you're going to drop $40k
- It comes with an additional propane heater installed. Maybe I'm just dreaming, but I've yet to go winter camping in a Westy, say, colder than 30 at night.
- All of the seams, seals, lines, dashboard, carpet, panels, everything about this looks very clean and rust free.
- There's a newer three window tent installed, fresh tents are sweet.
- The undercarriage looks good, though the propane tank should be blasted and painted.
- It sounds good, even when the guy accidentally revs the engine in the video.
- It probably has a rear differential locker, but I don't recall the guys mentioning that in the videos.
The eBay auction has seen a total of ten bids from six bidders, with a current high bid of $13,400, along with an unknown and unmet reserve price. What do you think it's worth? Are you going to check it out? We'd love to hear more. Let us know in the comments below, or head on over the individual posts about this Westy on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterset or Google+ and share your wisdom or questions there! I'd bet they're hoping for at least $37k, but may settle for $35k if it hasn't sold in the next few weeks. These stock, rust free and well cared for specimens are becoming much harder to find.